LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
LifeStraw is the award-winning personal water filter, designed to provide you with safe, clean drinking water in any situation. An ideal water filter for hiking & camping, travel, emergency preparedness & survival, the LifeStraw makes contaminated or suspect water safe to drink.
The LifeStraw personal water filter, the "Best Invention of 2005" (Time magazine), enables users to drink water safely from contaminated water sources. LifeStraw is ideal for homeowners during emergencies such as local flooding which can contaminate drinking water supplies. LifeStraw is also ideal for campers and hikers who may be drinking from rivers or lakes and are unsure of the water safety. Because LifeStraw is lightweight and compact, it is also great for travelers who do not want to rely on the quality of local water.
• Emergency, Preparedness & Survival Kit
LifeStraw is the most advanced personal water filter available today. LifeStraw surpasses EPA guidelines for E. coli, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium oocysts, rigorous standards for water filtration.
Since 2005, LifeStraw has been used in developing countries to assist in achieving the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals for clean drinking water. We’re excited to help launch this useful product in North America.
LifeStraw Features & Benefits
• Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water
• Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
• Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3
• Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
• Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
• Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries,
has no moving parts
• Very high flow rate
• Easy to clean
• Very durable
• Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
• Award winning & internationally recognized
• 1 year warranty
What LifeStraw removes/filters:
LifeStraw filters down to an incredible, 0.2 microns in size! This removes virtually all the bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%) from contaminated water, and reduces turbidity (muddiness) by filtering out suspended particles.
Bacteria removed include:
• Escherichia coli
• Vibrio cholerae
• Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Protozoa removed include:
• Giardia lamblia ("Beaver Fever")
• Cryptosporidium Parvum
• Entamoeba histolytica.
Please note: The LifeStraw currently does not filter heavy metals or viruses, and will not desalinate water.
• Length: 9 inches
• Width: 1 inch diameter
• Weight: 2 ounces
• Construction: durable plastic. Does not require replacement
parts or batteries, or any chemicals.
• Capacity: filters up to 264 gallons (1000 liters) of water.
• Shelf Life: 5 years when stored at room temperature. (Product
package may state shelf life of 3 years, but this will be corrected
on newer packaging. The actual shelf life is 5 years.)
• Included: Comes with a lanyard, and a cap for the mouth piece
and end piece
LifeStraw Awards and Acoolades
• 2008 Saatchi & Saatchi Award for World Changing Ideas
• 'INDEX: 2005' International Design Award
• 'Well-Tech 2006' Innovation Technology Award
• 'Best Invention of 2005’ Time (November 2005)
• 'Europe’s Best Invention’ Reader’s Digest (July 2006)
• 'Innovation of the Year’ Esquire (December 2005)
• 'Invention of the Century’ Gizmag (December 2005)
• 'A Water Purifier for the Masses’ Popular Science (December 2005)
• 'A Water Purifier That Could Save Lives’ New York Times (Oct 2006)
• 'Gadget Produces Safe Drinking Water’ Newsweek (June 2007)
• 'Ten Things That Will Change The Way We Live’ Forbes (Feb 2006)
• 'Tools for Better Living’ Fortune (December 2006)
• 'Design for the Rest of the World: LifeStraw®’ The NY Sun (05 '07)
• 'The gadgets for disaster zones' BBC (May 2011)
How to use:
The patented LifeStraw is a small tube with specialized filters inside. Place one end in unfiltered water (a glass, water bottle, river, or puddle!), and suck the resulting clean water up through the top. Anyone who can use a drinking straw can easily use a LifeStraw.
LifeStraw for Travel & Backpacking:
Because the LifeStraw is so small and lightweight, it’s great for travel overseas in countries with unreliable drinking water. If you’ve ever been sick while traveling, you know the importance of drinking filtered water! Make sure to drink all water through the LifeStraw.
LifeStraw for Hiking & Camping:
Access to clean water is critical while hiking. LifeStraw accomplishes the same thing as other filters, but does it at just a tenth of the weight. If you’re ultra-light hiking, this is a must. At only 2 oz, it’s the lightest way of filtering water while on the go. If you consume the recommended 3-4 liters of water per day while hiking, LifeStraw will last you for between 250-330 days of hiking. If you’re in a rush, there’s no need to stop and filter water by the lake. Just scoop your water bottle full, and sip from it as you walk. Or, dip the end of the straw right into the lake and drink until you’re hydrated.
As a hiking or camping water filter, the LifeStraw provides great convenience. A purifier or pump filter is great, but it takes a fair amount of time to wait for the purification or filtering to complete. Instead, experience the convenience of drinking directly from the water source using your LifeStraw. Perfect when you are hiking, or relaxing around camp.
LifeStraw for Emergency Preparedness & Survival:
In light of recent natural disasters, many people are realizing they cannot depend on their city water during an emergency. A water filter that’s lightweight, easy-to-use, and portable is important to have in your emergency preparedness kit. Buy a LifeStraw for each member in your household - it's a low-cost investment in security.
Awards and recognition:
LifeStraw has received significant accolades since 2005. Time Magazine named LifeStraw the “Best Invention of 2005.” In 2008, it won the Saatchi and Saatchi Award for “World Changing Ideas”. Esquire called it the “Innovation of the Year.” And Forbes noted that LifeStraw is “one of the ten things that will change the way we live.” Now that LifeStraw has launched in the USA and Canada, we expect continued positive responses.
LifeStraw is manufactured by Vestergaard Frandsen, which is a Switzerland-based company specializing in disease control products for developing countries. Their core business model is centered around corporate social responsibility, and they help countries reach their United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals with products designed to prevent vector and water-borne diseases. LifeStraws are shipped throughout the world to countries in need including Haiti, Pakistan, and Africa.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee from Manufacturer:
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
Product Manufacturer: Vestergaard Frandsen Inc
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Note: All product performance tests and claims are that of the manufacturer, not The Energy Supermarket.
HELP » Contact Customer Support
• Toll-Free help line offering product info and ordering support
• Online e-mail technical and installation support
Processing and Delivery Information: Please allow Processing Time as stated above for your order, plus standard transportation delivery time. Orders placed after 2PM EST may not begin processing until the next business day. Please call for Rush Processing and/or Rush Shipping options.